Fishing around Namotu Island
Fishing around Namotu is great all year long with many different species on offer. Our fishing boat, the Mai Kana, supplies fish for our restaurant and each week has one or two volunteer fisherman in charge of ensuring we are fully stocked so guests can enjoy fresh Yellowfin tuna Spanish Mackerel sashimi, barbecued ruby snapper and many more tasty delights. Fresh fish is so important to us here on Namotu and you can get involved if you want!
The fisherman will usually head out in the morning and afternoon and guests are more than welcome to jump onboard and do some angling. Please chat to the fishermen and arrange to join a trip.
There is no better place to get a taste of fishing than Namotu because it’s so close; most of the time the Mai Kana is within sight of the island and heads back in for lunch so you can join for a morning or afternoon without being caught out there all day. If you’d like to bring your own gear and go casting, jigging or otherwise, you can use our casting boat, the Ika Vuka but you’ll need to bring your own gear.
Namotu has two fishing boats available for guest use:
- Mai Kana is operated by the volunteer fishermen and trolling, live bait mackerel and deep drop gear is provided
- Ika Vuka is available for casting, jigging etc with a local captain. Although we can supply basic trolling gear, we strongly recommend bringing your own equipment.
If you’d like a more customised experience on one of our fantastic charter boats, why not book a fishing charter onboard the Cobalt.
Some of the types of fishing and species of fish we have here on Namotu include:
- Jigging/soft plastic: Dogtooth Tuna, Job Fish, Spanish Mackerel, Trevally, Trout, Red Bass, Yellow Fin Tuna
- Trolling: Mahi Mahi, Blue & Black Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel, Trevally & Sailfish
- Live baiting: Spanish Mackerel, Dogtooth Tuna & Sailfish
- Popping: GT’s, Bluefin Trevally, Red Bass, Green Job Fish, Trout, Long Nose Emperor & Spanish mackerel, Yellowfin Tuna
- Fly: GT’s, Bluefin Trevally, Mack Tuna, Skip Jack Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna*
- Light tackle: Bluefin Trevally, Red Bass, Long Nose Emperor, Trout & Spanish Mackerel
- Game: Marlin & Yellowfin Tuna*
- Deep drop: Ruby Snapper, Flame Tail Snapper, Spotted Grouper, Gold Band Snapper, Pomfret, Rusty Job fish & lots more bottom dwellers
* December – April fishing season
**May – September fishing season