Fishing around Namotu Island
Fishing around Namotu is great all year long with many different species on offer. Our fishing boat, the Mai Kana, supplies fish for our restaurant and each week has a resident fisherman who is in charge of ensuring we are fully stocked so guests can enjoy fresh Yellowfin tuna Spanish Mackerel sashimi, barbecued ruby snapper and many more tasty delights. Fresh fish is so important to us here on Namotu and you can get involved if you want!
The fisherman will usually head out in the morning and afternoon and guests are more than welcome to jump onboard and do some angling. There is no better place to get a taste of fishing than Namotu because it’s so close; most of the time the Mai Kana is within sight of the island and heads back in for lunch so you can join for a morning or afternoon without being caught out there all day. If you’d like a more customised experience on one of our fantastic charter boats, why not book a fishing charter? We have 3 charter vessels available to house guests and others.
Some of the types of fishing and species of fish we have here on Namotu include:
- Jigging/soft plastic: Dogtooth Tuna, Job Fish, Spanish Mackerel, Trevally, Trout, Red Bass, Yellow Fin Tuna
- Trolling: Mahi Mahi, Blue & Black Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel, Trevally & Sailfish
- Live baiting: Spanish Mackerel, Dogtooth Tuna & Sailfish
- Popping: GT’s, Bluefin Trevally, Red Bass, Green Job Fish, Trout, Long Nose Emperor & Spanish mackerel, Yellowfin Tuna
- Fly: GT’s, Bluefin Trevally, Mack Tuna, Skip Jack Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna*
- Light tackle: Bluefin Trevally, Red Bass, Long Nose Emperor, Trout & Spanish Mackerel
- Game: Marlin & Yellowfin Tuna*
- Deep drop: Ruby Snapper, Flame Tail Snapper, Spotted Grouper, Gold Band Snapper, Pomfret, Rusty Job fish & lots more bottom dwellers
* December – April fishing season
**May – September fishing season